Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Preamp level

  1. #1
    Inactive Member jnorv's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    220
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Preamp level

    My primary system is dual 604 HNLP/817 cabs with MR94/288 as the mid range. It is triamped through a Beringer active crossover. My problem is that I have too much gain. My Rowland preamp (Consonance) goes from zero to 200. I run it at 7. Works great with my LOMC cart but I need more control with my CD/SACD players. What do I do?

    Jim N

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Preamp level

    Hi Jim,

    Need a bit more info, output levels and Z of your sources, and input sensitivity and Z of your amp. I found the Rowland's spec;

    Line Stage Gain - Selectable 6/16.4 dB
    Phono Stage Gain - Selectable 42/60.2 dB
    IHF Input Sensitivity
    For 500 MV Output
    Phono: tape out 0.5 mV or 4.0 mV
    Line: main out 75 mV or 210 mV
    Max Output Level Phono/Line
    7.5 V RMS/7.5 V RMS


    Just a preliminary guess, but a gain switch setting of low for the CD and high for the phono might help.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member jnorv's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    220
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Preamp level

    According to my manual I only have a fixed 16Db line stage gain. I am using a Bryston 4B, Rowland 5 and small digital 10 watt for the amps, if that gives you any info.

    Jim N

  4. #4
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Preamp level

    Surely the Behringer lets you set the levels of the drivers? You should be able to cut a lot of gain there if nowhere else.

    Dave
    "When words fail, music speaks" - HC Anderson

  5. #5
    Inactive Member jnorv's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    220
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Preamp level

    It is only +/- 12 dB. I can't believe that I am the only one with this problem.

    Jim N

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Preamp level

    Without all the details I mentioned earlier, it's pretty hard to diagnose much farther than what you already know;

    Quote Originally Posted by jnorv View Post
    ...I have too much gain...
    If those Rowland specs are even close, that's one really hot pre... like something you'd use to drive a (really) remote amp rack. Given that many of today's CD players are hot enough to drive an amp without a pre, when you insert that much gain in between, you're gonna run out of control room real quick.

    There's at least a couple ways to address it, with some build-out resistance, or a line-level pad. Or... well, I won't bum you out any further with the other solution, I saw the price tag of that pre.

    Added;
    When I Googled the pre for specs, I had to scroll through a bunch of FS listings before I found the spec. That might be a clue to your last Q;

    Quote Originally Posted by jnorv View Post
    ...I can't believe that I am the only one with this problem.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Preamp level

    Quote Originally Posted by jnorv View Post
    According to my manual I only have a fixed 16Db line stage gain...
    Hmmm... your's must be an older (or newer?) version than the online manual I found;

    http://www.jeffrowland.com/Docs/ConsonanceManual.pdf

    That one has internal DIPs to tweak gain and Z to your needs.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member jnorv's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    220
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Preamp level

    Mine must be an earler model. It does not have the line level adjustments. On the other hand, it does have a 60 dB phono stage which does a dynimite job with my 015 mv LOMC cart.

    Jim

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.